Instructions for event organizers
If you are involved with running a regular series or other public usage of our hall, we encourage you to maintain your own event listings.
How it works
- Each event series (e.g. 1st Fri, 3rd Sat) has its own google calendar.
- An event organizer can create/edit events on the appropriate calendar from his/her own google account.
(If you don't yet have a google account, you'll need to create one. It's easy and they are free. In my experience, it's easiest if you start by creating a gmail account, even if you don't want to use it for email.)
- Each regular series has a default listing that repeats indefinitely, such that dancers need not rely on your booking updates in order to know whether to expect a dance on a particular date.
- In most cases, the band/caller details vary each month, so you'll want to update each specific listing as that booking info becomes available. Note that in gcal, once you edit an individual occurrence of an event, that occurrence is no longer part of the series, and thus is not affected by any edits you subsequently make to the recurring event.
- In order to maximize usability of the cumulated whole, please follow the few simple style guidelines in editing your events.
Event editing guidelines
[series name]- Music:
1st Friday Swedish/Contras - Music: The Moving Violations - Caller: Steve Zakon-Anderson
2nd Friday Contradance - Music: Stuart Kenney, Mary Cay Brass, Jessie Gagne-Hall - Caller: Quena Crain
2nd Saturday Contradance - Music: Clew Bay - Caller: Lisa Greenleaf
4th Saturday Contradance - TopHill Winter Extravadance - Music: Rumblestrip and Clew Bay - Callers: Linda Leslie and Nils Fredland
- It may seem redundant to list the GSG as the location of each GSG event, but that way you get a handy link to google maps. (If you're just adding details to a recurring event, this is already done for you.) Our locations are:
Guiding Star Grange, 401 Chapman St, Greenfield MA
Montague Grange, 34 Main St, Montague MA
- description, links to band sites:
- If your event title includes a band name, it's a good idea to include the names of the band members and the instruments they play. Here's where you can add links to your band/musician/caller web sites if you like; please ask lydia if you need help with that.
- schedule, cost, more info:
- Please use these standard labels to make these key bits easy to find. Unfortunately, gcal doesn't have a neat way for us to make these into recognizable fields — thus they require a little bit of extra work. It does now blessedly understand linebreaks, but please still use the little bits of html code supplied to add boldface to these labels (e.g. "cost:").
- note about email privacy:
- Since the details of a gcal event are visible to the public (or robots) only when someone specifically clicks on the event title, I (lydia) believe that email addresses entered in event descriptions are at extremely low risk for spam harvesting. However, I've only included email addresses in listings where those were already supplied. This page, like all of this site, cloaks all email addresses so they do not appear directly in the page source.
Sample event details
|to look like this:||paste in this:|
|The Moving Violations are: Marnen Laibow-Koser (piano, flute), Chuck Corman (bass, guitar, percussion), Van Kaynor (fiddle) and Ron Grosslein (fiddle, mandolin).
Schedule: 8-8:30 Swedish, 8:30-11:30 Contras
Cost: $10 / $8 students
More info: (413) 549-1913 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|<a href="http://www.themovingviolations.com/">The Moving Violations</a> are: Marnen Laibow-Koser (piano, flute), Chuck Corman (bass, guitar, percussion), Van Kaynor (fiddle) and Ron Grosslein (fiddle, mandolin).
<b>Schedule:</b> 8-8:30 Swedish, 8:30-11:30 Contras
<b>Cost:</b> $10 / $8 students
<b>More info:</b> (413) 549-1913 or email@example.com
|Music by Greenfield Dance Band members David Kaynor (fiddle/caller), Peter Siegel (guitar/mandolin), and Stuart Kenney (bass/banjo), with guest fiddler Andrea Katz from Texas.
Schedule: 7:30-8:00 beginners' workshop, 8:00-11:00 contradancing for all
Cost: $8-10 suggested, self-determined free will contribution, barter welcome
More info: David Kaynor, 413-367-9380, firstname.lastname@example.org
Music by Greenfield Dance Band members <a href="http://www.davidkaynor.com/">David Kaynor</a> (fiddle/caller), <a href="http://www.petesiegel.com/">Peter Siegel</a> (guitar/mandolin), and <a href="http://www.stuartkenney.com/">Stuart Kenney</a> (bass/banjo), with guest fiddler Andrea Katz from Texas.
<b>Schedule:</b> 7:30-8:00 beginners' workshop, 8:00-11:00 contradancing for all
<b>Cost:</b> $8-10 suggested, self-determined free will contribution, barter welcome
<b>More info:</b> David Kaynor, 413-367-9380, email@example.com